08/23/01 - Evening

     I've figured out what happened with the cement to the LEDs, why it was taking so long to dry?  I've discovered it was drying just fine.

     It was the hull that was staying soft!

     I'm not certain exactly what the heck happened here, but the LEDs weren't bound by the cement and the cement softened the plastic on the hull such that when I wiggled an LED, it was the hull that moved!  That means it's been soft all day, I don't know when or if it would have hardened.

     I've also decided that the diameter of the LEDs is just too damn big - compared to the thicker fibre I'm running for the flashing running lights (which look perfect) it totally looks out of scale.

     Therefore, what I've done is removed the LEDs, and shaped the (practically liquid) plastic surrounding them so as to cover the hole, then used putty to make it solid.  Later, when the putty dries completely, I will shape it to look like the hull and, hopefully, make it look like this little event simply never happened.

     So, I'm going to run the thicker fibre to all points.  This poses a problem - I only have two plastic fibre drivers, I'm going to have to make some for the port / starboard indicator lights.  I've been experimenting with shrink tubing and that's looking very promising.  It takes three fibres to match the diameter of the LED ( ! ).  So as to ensure the ends of the fibres stay at the tip of the LED, I will use no more than three per LED, put a shrink tube 'round the LED and shrink it a bit, then put the incoming fibre strands in their own case of shrink tubing (as the fibre melts with extreme ease) and then shrink the whole thing together.

     There's learning, then there's learning on the fly...!  Good thing I've had some practice, I'd be SOL.